Monday, July 20, 2009

Been looking forward to looking back to look forward


I have been looking forward to this week all year.

It's time to look back at last year's End of Season Report, specifically to see how I have come on over the last 8 or so months and to see if I have achieved the goals I set myself for 2009, ready to look forward to next week's final (and last chance) qualifier at Blithfield.

And, looking back at my aims, I think I've achieved everything I set myself.

Swim - Sub 6:20 400 metre time (Duston sprint - 6:17 - PB)
Bike - Sub 25 minute 10 mile TT (23:38 - PB), sub 35 minute 20K (Dorney midweek - 34:06)
Run - Sub 20 minute 5K (Bedford sprint - 19:11 - PB)

Another milestone was my first ever sub 1:10 for a Sprint at Dorney last week in 1:09:27. A very pleasing result - 17th overall (out of 188) and 5th in my age group (ignore the results list which incorrectly recorded my times).

All this looking back is great for looking forward to next Sunday's race at Blithfield. Shoulders back, head held high, deep breath - I'll be going into the race full of confidence, knowing that I am at full speed, beating all my competitors, breaking PB's every week. That nasty 4 letter word 'can't' hasn't entered my head once this year, nor will it on Sunday. I'll be doing the 'can, can' all the way past the finish line!

I'll definitely be going for an automatic spot next Sunday. I have analysed and analysed and analysed the competition and their results from previous races and so far, of those who are registered as wanting to qualify, the form book says that I will come second. I know it’s a dangerous thing staking my claim, but I figure that if I send the message out to the world then I will have that extra incentive to push to prove that I was right. That’s my theory anyway.

The second of the Olympic qualifiers was raced today at Bedford this Sunday. I have, again, analysed and analysed and analysed the results to see which of my competitors for the Sprint are also trying to qualify for the Olympic and, of the top four automatic qualifiers at Bedford, one was also trying to qualify at Sprint. So, assuming he will take his Olympic place, that takes him out of the reckoning for the Sprint and automatically pushes me up the list by one place. Not bad for doing nothing, I’d say!

Here's what my training log has looked like over the past few weeks:-

Week commencing 29th June:-

Mondayswim - club swim
Tuesday – brick session: bike/run - progessively shorter/faster repeats
Wednesday – rest
Thursdaybike - hard intervals
Fridayrun - hill repeats, bike - 10 mile TT (23:56)
Saturdayswim - open water at Blue Lagoon, bike - long'ish to Dorney Lake
Sundaybike - hill repeats

Week commencing 6th July:

Mondayrun - intervals
Tuesdayrun - hill repeats
Wednesdaybike - 20K hard (34:18), run - 5K hard (21:54)
Thursdayrun - intervals
Fridaybike - 10 mile TT (non aero - 28:46!)
Saturdayswim - open water at Liquid Leisure, bike - hard intervals, run - 5K Bushey Park TT (20:53)
Sunday – rest

Week commencing 13th July:

Mondayswim - club swim
Tuesdaybike - hill repeats
Wednesdayrace - Dorney Lake midweek (first time sub 1:10)
Thursdaybike - 10 mile TT (23:38 - PB)
Fridayrun - hard intervals with Jev
Saturdaybike and run - Blithfield practice
Sundaybike - intervals on turbo trainer

I was looking back over my blog this week and, with great pride, I see that it is 1 year old this week (ironically on the week that my qualification is confirmed - I didn't plan it that way, honest), so here’s a big fat happy birthday to Colin’s Blog. It’s been fun so far.

Another couple of milestone’s this week. 11 years ago, my eldest son, Joe, started at Edlesborough school, the same year as its headmistress, Janet Hatfield. This week marked the end of the 2009 academic year, and with it was Joe’s departure from mainstream education (until 6th form next year). It also saw Adam’s departure from Edlesborough school and Emily’s last year before her GCSE options take hold at the beginning of next year. Ironically, it was Janet Hatfield's final year at Edlesborough school too, and many thanks to her for presiding over a school which saw all my children pass their 11+ tests and progress onto the local Grammar schools.

Enough of looking back. I am now completely focussed and looking forward to a rather important race next Sunday to take me along the Yellow Brick Road.....and we all know where that leads to, don't we?

Cheers.

C

1 comment:

Jevon said...

Happy birthday to Colin's blog and good luck for Sunday. I look forward to sharing a post qualification beer with you at Blithfield.
J.