Sunday, May 03, 2009

A DNF, a good day at the offce and roll on D-Day


You might recall from an earlier blog that I attended a talk by Steve Trew at the TCR show. He was talking about 'the mind of a triathlete' - all about bringing positives out of negatives.

I have also been reading Joe Friel's 'Triathlete's Training Bible' recently and, coincidentally, I am currently on the chapter about - yes, you've guessed it - the mind and psychology of a triathlete.
I had never really had to use this form of psychology in a race before. Until today that is.

Today, just seven days before one of the most important races of my life, I suffered my first ever DNF at the Bedford Sprint.

And I'm very happy that I did.

I performed well on the swim, punctured on the bike, and PB'd on the run (they let me continue onto the run). So, I have come out of the race feeling extremely positive about my race speed. The failure was mechanical - out of my control - not physical, and I feel fit, ready and up for the challenge at my first World's Qualifier at Grendon next week. Had my DNF been as a result of an injury then it would have been a completely different story.

Steve and Joe would have been proud of me. About 2 miles into the bike I could feel the tyre unsteady around corners, looked down and it was only half-inflated. I knew it wouldn't last the whole race and didn't want to put myself in danger so I calmly turned around, coasted back to transition and continued onto the run. Unflustered, I posted a 19:11 on the 5K (first ever sub-20 minutes) which I am absolutely thrilled with this close to Grendon. I am biking stronger and quicker than ever, so all's looking good for the trip up the M1 to Northamptonshire next week.

The best supporter in the world, A-M, was there to watch it all unfold. She even had time to catch me running out on the bike before the fateful flat. I look quite good, don't you think???



Big congratulations to Peter who joined me for the race. It was Peter's first race and he coped admirably under the pressure (a lot more relaxed than I was in the my first race) with a very creditable time. Well done, sir! Also, a big fat pack on the back to Andy from the tri club who also had a very pleasing race. Andy's training for the UK Ironman later in the year and is getting some race practice in.

As far as training is concerned, I have really stepped this up a gear. Here you go:-

Monday – rest day, 50 press-ups and 50 sit-ups
Tuesdayinterval brick session: bike - semi-hard intervals, run - sprint repeats
Wednesdaybike – gym spin (fixed wheel), run - intervals, swim – 400m TT in 6:47, 50 press-ups and 50 sit-ups
Thursdaybrick session: bike - hard intervals, run - tempo
Fridayrun - hill and sprint repeats, 50 press-ups and 50 sit-ups
Saturdayswim - open water at Liquid Leisure
Sundayrace – Bedford Sprint

So, here I am. Eventually, after months and months and months of training - alone or with clubmates or other training partners - D Day is finally here. I am almost already visualising writing next week's blog having secured a qualifying place. Wish me luck!

Cheers.

C

2 comments:

Jevon said...

well done mate... sensible decision.

Anonymous said...

i like your positivity
cheers
iain