Monday, July 13, 2009

Raining cats and dogs

We've been choosing a pet dog this week, and it's all very exciting.

I've been long thinking about getting a dog. Not only for the kids who absolutely love animals, but also selfeshly as a running partner for me. I decided on this after a run some months ago with Maurice, Tony and Robin from the tri club who brought their very active dogs out on a training run and a thoroughly good time was had by all (maybe also had something to do with the post-run chilli con carne courtesy of Andrea, Jo's wife).

I know that pets can be a bind, but I figure that the pros far outweigh the cons. I work from home so will be able to give him or her plenty of fuss and when I go away (hopefully in September to Australia!). I have plenty of friends and family who have said they will dog-sit.

Sadly, all this has happened the same time as the passing of our cat, Coco, the female part of twins whose brother, Scampi, died last year. Coco had a lovely, purr-full life but her old age finally caught up with her in recent weeks and we did the right thing to let her join her brother in cat heaven. The kids were saddened, and I think Joe - at that age where he will not allow himself to show any emotion about anything whatsoever - probably shed a tear or two in the privacy of his bedroom.

The rain last week made me adjust my training schedule to concentrate more on running and less on cycling - probably for the best really because I have been neglecting running recently. Sprints, hops, strides, hills, more sprints, more hops, more strides, more hills - it doesn't take long to get a habit going.

The weather held out for the highlight of the week on Sunday - the Kings Langley Kids Triathlon - an annual event hosted by my tri club. And a thoroughly great time was had by all. Adam and I arrived to help set up early and within 5 minutes Rob (fresh back from his Ironman Austria exploits the previous week) had plonked Adam in the driving seat of his van and Adam was steering it around the school field whilst Rob and I were in the back throwing out the cones for the cycle route. Rob has now made a lifelong friend for himself in Adam, and I think he (Adam - not Rob) went to bed last night imagining himself as the next Jensen Button.

150 or so kids (and some very enthusiastic parents who make football parents seem like pussy-cats), the races started early afternoon and finished about 3 hours later. A very efficient race crew, consisting of 15 or so club members (and some family members) where we all pulled together to put on a very enjoyable day at the races.

Last week I mentioned about Charlie - son of Russell - who had come runner up at Dorney Lake. Well, this weekend he managed to go one better and got top spot in his age group. Sprinting down the finish line, wow that boy can run! And what better way to round off the awards ceremony than his mum, Becky, who organised the whole thing, to place the winners medal around his neck. Very sweet...ahhh.

The weather certainly hasn't been holding out all the time for the Tour de France which I have been avidly watching on Eurosport HD this week. Lance is back and riding very strongly - I only wish I had a fraction of his power. Wow, that boy can ride! He used to be a useful triathlete in his early days, too. There's hope for me yet!

One week of hard training before ANOTHER taper week before the final qualifier at Blithfield. Fingers crossed that the rain holds out.

Cheers.

C

No comments: