Saturday, August 22, 2009

Run, rabbit, run


Normally, at this time of the year, I am glued to the TV with Adam for the start of the football season. But not this year. Not football anyway.

Adam has been away camping with his mum and siblings, Joe and Emily, this week. And I've taken the opportunity to watch what I want to watch for a change. And what a week to do it, what with the plethora of triathlon on TV.

There's been the London Triathlon and a whopping 3+ hours of live racing at Hyde Park on the BBC. As you might recall from last week's blog, I was actually there watching and racing there last weekend, but I did have the foresight to Sky+ it in anticipation for my delight and delictation during this week's lonely weekday evenings.

So, armed with Jaffa Cakes and Jelly Babies (my junk foods of choice), I sat down and watched over 4 hours of non-stop triathlon. And I loved every minute of it. It has to be said that Steve Trew's BBC commentary was spot on, as usual, but his co-commentator was obviously not an expert in triathlon and it was quite apparent that he didn't actually know what he was talking about (he even once remarked about how the SWIM was undulating). Nevertheless, a great few hours of viewing.

I joined Jev this week for a special Old Thatch Cinema Society screening of Donnie Darko. Actually, it was only me and Jev, preceded by a few beers in the pub and a few more beers back at his.

I had been meaning to watch Donnie Darko for years now, but had never got round to it, so we decided that Wednesday was as good a time as any (Jev's girls had gone away too). A fabulous film, although I have to admit rather confusing, with a brilliant soundtrack. So good, in fact, that I watched it again at home the following evening to try to make more sense of it. And I did make more sense of it. But only a little. So I guess I'll have to watch it again. I'm no Jonathan Ross or Barry Norman, but a highly recommended film.

My turn to take the kids away camping this week, so we're off somewhere (exact venue not yet decided) on Monday, then back for a few days before heading off to The Gold Coast. Joe won't be coming camping with us. He's going to the Reading Music Festival with his mates, and also is getting his GCSE results on Thursday. Fingers tightly crossed for both, and no doubt much to report next week.

So it's all go in the Bradley household at the moment.

It's all go for Jasmine Flatters too. Jasmine is the Age Group Team Manager for Australia (and, coincidentally, was Race Referee at Hyde Park last week) and is planning meticuously to make sure that the whole thing goes smoothly for her team. She has started up a GBR Age Group Team Facebook group and is also sending regular emails to us all with last minute arrangements.

I have been racing for many years, have raced every distance, both in the UK and abroad, from Super Sprint to Ironman, yet never has there been so much to organise as there is for this race. We also have our very own team bike mechanic. Very impressive organisation - but then again it IS the British team, so it should be top-notch organisation I suppose.

Australia is getting very close now. And very real. And very exciting. I can hardly believe that I am only a couple of blogs away to reporting back about the race of my life.

Between watching TV, drinking far too much beer and eating far too much junk food, I did have a great week's training, and I'll post up details shortly.

Next week will be plenty of early morning runs before the kids have woken. One of our options is the New Forest where there's plenty of wildlife. Plenty of rabbits to chase too. Hopefully no giant ones though (fans of Donnie Darko will get the link).

Cheers.

C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope the road rash is improving! See you in Oz
Paul B