Monday, January 05, 2009

Little Gems

New Years Eve provided plenty of laughs (and B52's) as we entertained long-time friends, Bill and Anne-Marie, and their kids – Hannah and Chris, who are both good friends with Emily and Adam respectively. Joe was out for the evening seeing the New Year in with his friends.

We played the Wii all evening, specifically the Wii Sports game. The game starts with the user creating a profile based on age, etc. It also incorporates a BMI (Body Mass Index) test, and mine told me that I was overweight. No surprises there then, and a timely reminder that I need to watch what I eat and drink from now on. Nevertheless, a gem of an evening which we all enjoyed thoroughly, although I am not so sure that the neighbours particularly enjoyed our fireworks at 1am.

Another gem was this Saturday when, on a bright afternoon, I decided to get out on the MTB and cycle into Dunstable via Totternhoe Knolls. I have lived in the area for about 12 years now and I have never been up the knolls and what an amazing discovery it was for me. A true gem of a ride – fantastic bike tracks and stunning views from the old castle at the top of the knoll. Brilliant stuff.

Having dusted down my wallet after its hammering over Christmas, I entered, and paid for, my 2009 races this week. One thing which struck me was the ever-rising entry fees nowadays. I was going to enter a team into the London triathlon but that idea was quickly dismissed when I saw the entry fee a whopping £199.00!!!

A race which hasn't been affected by the recent spate of price increases is the Brighton Marina Triathlon. I stumbled across this race by accident about 6 or 7 years ago with my mate Simon. It is a small privately run race which hasn’t been affected by the rising popularity of triathlon – entry levels normally don’t exceed 50 or so athletes, and the cost is a very modest £29.00.

I am hoping that the word doesn’t get around about this race and the big organizers take hold of it because it is one of the last races which have retained their small-race atmosphere, as was the infamous Cleveland Long Course which alas is no more. It isn’t actually in my race plans this year, but it certainly will be in 2010. I urge you to try it. You won't be disappointed - a true gem of a race.

Nothing to report on the training front from last week, except a highly enjoyable end of year Gala at our usual Monday night swim session. Alas, my team lost, so the less said about that the better. And of course there was THAT bike ride over the knolls.

Onward and upward and I must bid you farewell as I sit here about to embark on new horizons. I have finalised my 2009 training and racing plans - the former having been formulated from tips provided by a gem of a triathlete at a seminar earlier this year - yes, you’ve guessed it, Queen Chrissie. As I have said in previous blogs, if I can emulate a fraction of what she has achieved over the past couple of years then I am sure to be on my way to Australia before you can pop open a can of Fosters.

C

No comments: