Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Have A Dream

30 years ago my brother, Graeme, and I sat down with our parents and watched ‘Roots’ – an American TV miniseries about slavery in 18th century America based on Alex Haley's work 'Roots: The Saga of an American Family'.

'Roots' was a ground-breaking event in American TV history, receiving 37 Emmy Award-nominations. It went on to win 9 Emmys, a Golden Globe, and a Peabody Award. It still stands as the 3rd highest rated US programme ever. The series had a profound effect on me and shaped my attitude towards black culture forever.

I have been treating my own children to the same series recently, and we have been avidly following the exploits of Kunta Kinte, Chicken George and others. Ironically, my daughter, Emily, has been studying American slavery in history lessons recently and so she has been particularly captivated with what we have been watching.

45 years ago, Martin Luther King delivered his ‘I Have A Dream’ speech.

‘I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification - one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.’

How poignant that Barack Obama was elected president of the USA this week. No doubt this will see the start of the dream fulfilled and is quite rightly a monumental event in American, if not World, history.

This week, Lewis Hamilton - a Brit of mixed race – became the youngest ever Formula One World Champion. Like Obama, Hamilton has overcome racial difficulties to be the best in the world at what he does. No doubt he will win BBC Sports Personality of the Year, and quite rightly so (notwithstanding Queen Chrissie's fantastic achievements this year).

As far as training is concerned, I have been getting back into things this week. This is what I did:

Mondayswim - club swim - intervals
Tuesday – rest
Wednesdayrun – economy run – slower than 10k pace
Thursdaybike – easy-ish 22 miles with Jev – single gear
Friday run – tempo run at 10K pace
Saturdaybike – thoroughly enjoyable MTB ride at Ashridge going at over 1000 revs p/m, followed by run – stride rate run at 180 strides p/m
Sunday – rest

Next week I shall be mind-mapping my training and racing plans for 2009. I have a dream for the forthcoming season and, with some planning and hard work, I am hoping it too will be fulfilled.

Until next week, have a good one.
C

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great preamble, but no money shot!

Colin Bradley said...

No money shot appropriate mate, didn't want to steal Obama's and Hamilton's thunder :-)

Jevon said...

I have a dream too...
it involves Carmen Elektra and a tub of red jello...

Anonymous said...

....straddled upon a shiny new bike

Colin Bradley said...

All of the above, minus the bike!