Sunday, November 23, 2008

He did it. He only went and did it.

Isn't it funny how a person's state of mind can affect his whole sense of well-being? A positive experience can have profound effects on subsequent events in his life. It could be a compliment, a word of encouragement, or even something as little as someone remembering his name. Whatever it is, it propels one into a positive state of well-being and everything in life thereafter seems less onerous and more manageable. Less stress, more success. That's how it works with me, anyway.

The same with training. After a great training session I want more. Yet, if I miss a couple of days I feel lethargic and more inclined to go to the pub and sit at the bar all evening. In simple terms, no training = can't be bothered to train. Lots of training = want to train more.

I had some very positive experiences this week and it has made me a very happy man. A very happy man indeed. More specifically, a very happy dad. A very proud dad.

Adam got his 11+ results this week, and I am so proud to tell you that he did it. He only went and passed. From that, he has instantly springboarded into a more confident boy (not that he was ever lacking of it!). He has proof now how clever he is. It's written on paper and nobody can take that away from him. He and I have both been floating on air ever since. Now we have the problem of having to choose his preferred school - Aylesbury Grammar School for Boys, or the Henry Floyd Grammar School. Both are highly commended schools, so it's not a bad problem to have.



This positivety positively (how did I manage that?) overflowed into my training. I did lots and lots of it, and consequently I wanted to do more, so I did. Specifically, lots of runs, and a thoroughly enjoyable MTB ride to boot. No swimming, but there's plenty of time to catch up on that. I have caught up with my running plan from Mark K at last, and am ready to attack next week's sessions with renewed vigour.

But the highlight of the week's training was my MTB session at Brickhill Woods with Alex, particularly our 'friendly' race around the perimiter of the southern part of the woods. MTB'ing takes on a completely new meaning when you're racing and I am at last at a sufficient speed and confidence to put the pedal down and get upto some speed. And, wow wee, it was fun. Tearing along single tracks, branches either side, with the only sounds being the thundering of your beating heart and the rustle of leaves under tyre, it was fun, fun, fun all the way. And of course made all the sweeter by getting to the finish line ahead of my nemesis!

Here's what I did the entire week:

Mondayrun - tempo run
Tuesdayrun - at 180 strides per minute
Wednesday – rest
Thursdayrun - hard interval session
Friday - rest
Saturdaybike - MTB ride at Brickhill Woods with Alex
Sunday – rest

Next week I shall be concentrating once again on my running. I have also set up the turbo trainer, and shall be off down to the gym for some spin sessions. Hopefully a swim here and there. And maybe another MTB with Alex and others. Race conditions of course!

It's been a great week, and long may this feeling of positivety last throughout the winter.

Bye for now

C

3 comments:

Jevon said...

well done Adam !

Anonymous said...

well done adam and well done colin for beating me.

Once I add brakes to my bike, we'll see.....

Colin Bradley said...

Cheers guys.

Alex, shouldn't having defective brakes actually have stopped you from slowing down and, thus, assisted in going faster???