Monday, June 01, 2009

And finally...


This weekend saw the culmination of two national competitions – the FA Cup Final and, more importantly, the final of Britain’s Got Talent (or, as the luvvies like to say it, ‘BGT’).

In the former, Adam and I sat down, armed with fizzy drinks, biscuits and crisps, as did I with my dad years ago, for the BBC coverage (brilliant as usual) at around 1pm. Four hours later, following an OK match, Chelsea were crowned champions. Deservedly so, I would say, although I did as a result lose a £10.00 bet at 6 – 1 that Everton would win.

A couple of hours later, and almost having not moved from the couch since the match that afternoon (except for a bite to eat), and we were treated to a hugely entertaining final of Britain’s Got Talent.

Now, I know that these types of shows have their critics, but 15 million viewers can’t be wrong, so it must have something going for it (not just the presence of the gorgeous Amanda Holden). My personal favourite, Shaheen Jafargholi, a brilliant 12 year old vocalist from Wales, lost out on a top three place to saxophonist Julian Smith, singer Susan Boyle, and dance act Diversity (eventual winners). My tip to win was Flawless (a rival dance act to Diversity), and Adam’s was Diversity, so down went another £10.00 stake money, although this time to Adam and not to the bookies.

A great week of training in glorious weather, resulting in three Personal Bests – 6:30 for the 400 metre pool swim, 20:42 for the 5K run and, most unexpectedly, 24:13 for the 10 mile bike time trial.

I have swum quicker for 400 metres at the Concorde triathlon (I think) last year in 6:29 (I think), but the distance was slightly shorter than 400 metres (I think), so I’ll register this week's 6:30 as a PB. What I was particularly happy about was that I wasn’t pushing it, so that has set my spirits high for a great start to next Sunday’s second World Qualifier at Milton Keynes.

I have also run faster for 5K at the Bedford Sprint a few weeks ago, but again I think the course was slightly short. This week’s 20:42 was at the Bushey Park Time Trials, an organised 5K run held every Saturday morning at, believe it or not, Bushey Park, and my Garmin registered it at 5040 metres so it was as near as damn it the correct distance, so I’ll register the 20:42 as a PB (a minute quicker than my previous PB). I didn’t pace the run particularly well, going off far too quickly, so I think I could beat that time, and again it has raised my confidence for next Sunday.

I definitely haven’t cycled a quicker 10 mile than the 24:13 I rode on Thursday. My previous PB was 25:09 and so I smashed that by almost a minute. What probably helped was that I had Dan from my tri club breathing down my neck, having set off a minute after me, and I also had Andy (also from my tri club) in my sights ahead of me (having set off a minute earlier). It was also a slightly different course than where I rode the 25:09, with only one turnaround (instead of two), and without the slight incline of the former course. Averaging 28 mph on the out, and 20 mph on the back, with an overall average of 24.8 mph, it shows that there was quite a wind blowing, so maybe in less windy conditions I can go sub 24 minutes!

All these PB’s have been timed perfectly and is absolutely the best preparation I need for next Sunday’s second ‘A’ race at MK. It all goes to show, now that I have recovered from Italy, that training has been coming on leaps and bounds and the hard work has not been a waste of time.

Again, I don’t have my training diary with me, so I’ll have to update it later.

This week is a taper week (yes, you do need to taper for a sprint!), consisting mainly of shorter, semi-intensive stuff, and concentrating on sleep and nutrition. I also hope to get over to Liquid Leisure a few times, particularly on Saturday morning where Richard Stannard leads swimmers out for a mass start. Just the type of last-minute preparation I need for the start of the race the following day.

Congratulations to Mitten for completing the Edinburgh Marathon in tough conditions on Sunday. Mitten, if you’re reading (and I know you do!), let’s be having your race report on the forum please!

And, finally, as the weather continues to improve (it is a balmy 27 degrees as I am writing this blog), please wish me luck for the start line next weekend. The second of three qualifiers and I hope to improve on my place from the first race at Grendon. Whilst my aim is again to get to within 15% of the time of the winner in my Age Group, and hope to qualify on the roll-down, I certainly hope that the zillion hours training since then will take me a little closer to qualification for the most important Final of the year - the World Championships in September.

Cheers.

C

3 comments:

Jevon said...

Good luck Saturday mate.
J.

Mitten said...

Yes, I am reading :-)

Will write a proper race report when I have unpacked!!

Mitten said...

Ohh, and good luck!