Monday, December 22, 2008

Fail to plan, plan to fail


I've been harping on recently about the importance of organisation and never so more important is that concept than at Christmas time, what with being Santa's Head Buyer and also the usual juggling act of visiting family and friends.

Amongst all that is having to find time for work and training. Having already alluded to the work issue is previous blogs, things are really hotting up now. My recently-created business blog makes comment about the taxman's incompetence, and the knock on effect of this causes me great distress and additional work.

Doesn't leave much time for training, or rather it wouldn't if I didn't plan my time as well as I try to do. This week - Christmas week - I have planned a couple of runs and rides, and a swim here and there, although nothing too serious (in particular a 'mince-pie' run with the tri club).

The concept of 'fail to plan, plan to fail' is even more evident at this festive time of the year now that I have had to plan next year's races so that, come January, I am ready for the off. So, the following very carefully selected races form my schedule for 2009. I have highlighted the Worlds Qualifiers (my A races) in bold. I have deliberately left out the Worlds (my AA race) because I don't want to tempt fate.

Bedford Sprint - 3 May 2009
Grendon Sprint - 10 May 2009
Eton Super Sprint - 17 May 2009
Milton Keynes Sprint - 24 May 2009
Milton Keynes Sprint - 7 June 2009
Northampton Sprint - 28 June 2009
Bournemouth Sprint - 5 July 2009
Dorney midweek Sprint - 15 July 2009
Blithfield Sprint - 26 July 2009

Other non-triathlons will be the Milton Keynes Winter Duathlons, 10 mile time-trials (bike), 5 km run races (Bushey Park time-trials) - all 'as and when'. I also plan to cycle and run the courses at Grendon, Milton Keynes and Blithfield so, come the day, I will know the routes like the back of my hand.

The week just gone saw me spend plenty of time in the saddle, a run and no swimming whatsoever. Two mountain bike rides (one with Jev, the other a very early morning ride with Chris (aka Duff) from the tri club), and another my weekly tea-shop road bike with Jev. All very quaint stopping at the tea-shop in Stewkley for a coffee and soup (and the odd puncture repair thrown in for good measure).

Assuming Father Christmas is agreeable, this week I plan more of the same. Failing that, you'll probably find me in a pub somewhere resting my tired feet and nursing my tired wallet!

Compliments of the Season to all.

C

1 comment:

Jevon said...

Happy xmas mate...
I'll be in the pub with you
J.